The Reality Effect: Eastwood and Co.

August 16, 2012


Mrs. Eastwood & Company. E! Bunim-Murray Productions. 2012.



Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. CBS. 2012.

As much as I agree with Craig on the topic of reality shows, which you can see in the video above, I have to say there is one reality show that doesn't make me hate the 'E' channel with disgust, and that show is Mrs. Eastwood and Company.

I think it's pretty obvious that I am not the average young person and I actually do have a moderate dislike toward the kudzu-growth of reality shows. It's clear that these types of shows are on the high-end of the popularity scale on the television radar, despite the fact that they're more often than not, not really that great. Before Eastwood and Company, the only reality show I ever enjoyed watching was Growing Up Gotti. It was a nice, hilarious, realistic, overall great show on A&E. There might still be episodes of the show that you can see on the A&E website, but I have yet to find the DVDs (yes, the show was that entertaining).


Back to the Eastwoods:




Mrs. Eastwood & Company. E! Bunim-Murray Productions. 2012.

Mrs. Eastwood & Company. E! Bunim-Murray Productions. 2012.

Not only is Eastwood & Co. super hilarious, but it's a real family (almost like a Modern Family-esic type of extended family). But it's realistic in the event that no one on the show is consumed by the superfluously materialistic mindset that is corrupting our television screens as well as our own minds. This is something I've been proud about this show since the first episode. It's portrayed in a way in which the focus is not always on the material, much like with other shows, but instead goes against that superficial depiction and unfair mindset. Not to forget, they're caring, open and accepting Liberals, which being a Strong Liberal myself, just makes me love the show even more.


Mrs. Eastwood & Company. E! Bunim-Murray Productions. 2012.

One of the main reasons why I like Eastwood and Company so much is because it is so hilarious and shows the dynamic between the silly and serious sides of being in or apart of a family atmosphere.

I've realized that many people are critiquing the show in the most negative ways, but I think you would just have to see it for yourself. If you're someone who does watch reality shows, I think it's important to know that when these shows are edited, a lot of content ends up being left out- just as much as many scenes are clipped together. That's why these shows usually seem a bit awkward between scenes.

As easy as it is to succumb to either the love or hate side of how one perceives reality shows, I think with some of these shows a major contributor to why people love watching these shows, setting aside the chaos and whatever else, is that viewers often feel they can relate to the people they see on T.V.  I feel this way with Eastwood and Company, despite the fact that their life and situations are completely different from mine, the simple notion that I can is pretty interesting. And I think one of the amazing things about this family is the fact that they can work out their differences and get on the same page of understanding one another instead of just setting it aside or ignoring it - this, I find to be a good example of how we could learn how to communicate better with each other in life, no matter what relationship dynamic.

Mrs. Eastwood & Company. E! Bunim-Murray Productions. 2012.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Films & Veganism. Powered by Blogger.