True Blog. I mean, Blood.

June 27, 2012


"Sex. Drugs. Vampires. Who wouldn't like it?" says a friend of mine in a previous conversation. 

And I admit, the show is interesting.

For me, the aspect of True Blood that stands out most is its way of showing how pervasive, elusive, and easily normalized prejudice and hatred can become. If vampires and other mythic creatures actually did exist, our world would easily look just like this show. Many of the tv shows and movies about mythical beings living among humans seem to metaphorically represent the common, negative "isms" in our society.

True Blood. HBO.

In the event that season five is in the works, I would like to talk about this True Blood phenomenon that shook our pop culture to the max. At first I went into it thinking: "what is the big deal with this show?" and "why is everyone talking about it?" So I figure that there must be some awe-spiring spark-factor to this show - only to find out that there is. By exploring these all-curious questions of what this show is about, I watched the first episode, the second, and suddenly... I was hooked.

Knowing there was no turning back, I ended up going through the whole first four seasons. There are several in fact, depending on each individual person. For instance, the fact that some might like it because of the HBO-raunchiness that just oozes off the television screen; while others like it for it's strange originality and continuing plot-twists. Or perhaps the evident fact that people obsess over this show for both reasons and more.

Character development is also a huge factor of the show. I don't think I actually realized how intense and profound character development can be until I saw this show. After working my way through all four seasons, I felt as if I knew the characters so much so that I could easily assume what one character would do or say in a certain moment.  And I think that's something that is pretty amazing.

True Blood, HBO.

The show's setting within itself is pretty interesting. Set in a somewhat old-time, very small southern Louisiana-town, several fictional, mythological, and supernatural occurrences take place here, and it's all mixed up in one show. That alone is something I don't often see. Possibly because I'm someone who doesn't like anything that is even slightly scary or supernatural - but with this show it's different. The intricate character relationships and plot-twists are what really makes the show what it is, and what makes it addictive.


True Blood. HBO. 2012.   

While watching this series I couldn't help but think of how the social issues in the show relate and compare to those in American society.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Films & Veganism. Powered by Blogger.