Review: Chebe Miniature Cinnamon Rolls (Made Vegan, Gluten-free)

June 18, 2013





For a good while I had been wanting cinnamon rolls but not just any regular cinnamon rolls, I wanted the particular cinnamon rolls from one of my favorite vegan restaurants, Dulce Vegan Bakery and Cafe. Unfortunately, I was not able to make the trip so instead I picked up a box of Chebe's cinnamon roll dough as I was walking though a natural foods store.

The mix contains a tapioca flour and cinnamon mixture for the dough. After that, the filling and icing is up you. I used bananas (to replace egg), brown sugar, and cinnamon in accordance with instructions, baked in muffin pan for a few minutes, added my own icing and the result wasn't bad. The cinnamon rolls tasted great but they are not going to have the gooey, doughy texture of a bakery cinnamon roll. They were more firm, but still moist, sweet, and sugary.


For my icing I melted together:
  • Raw turbinado sugar
  • Sometimes brown sugar
  • Almond/coconut milk
  • [Small amount] Corn starch (for caramel result) or flour (for icing consistency)*
    It's best to mix flour with water before adding it into the pan with the sugar to prevent clumps of flour in the icing. Powered sugar would be much easier and faster to melt/break down than raw sugar, which is why it is most commonly used for a light glaze or icing.


    Considering the fact that the list of ingredients in the product are only tapioca, cinnamon, and salt, this product is definitely not worth the price when one could probably easily make the whole rolls from scratch much cheaper.




    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    Films & Veganism. Powered by Blogger.