80/10/10-inspired diet changes

August 19, 2013


I know it has been quite a while since the last post, aside from being somewhat busy, enjoying the break from school, then having another semester start up soon, I'm still trying to process all the photos I've taken for recipes and in-between a few film reviews. In this post, I will discuss the recent shift regarding changes to my diet and outlook on health and nutrition.



I've been following a vegan diet for about six years, have recently gained an interest in raw foods for the past year, and continue to learn more and more about veganism, raw veganism, and other health-related information. The more I learn, the more I strive to be closer to being in a state of optimal health, something that is made out to be more difficult than it needs to be (especially in our current society). This is an issue that persists considering the never-ending expansion of fast-food and widespread health-compromising foods that cause a series of severe health problems all leading to an unfortunate downward spiral. Not to forget it is the reason for the growing rates of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and even certain** cancers, etc. It is the reason why people cannot live healthy, happy, energized lives. 

** I recently noticed a bag of frozen fruits from New World Farms that quotes The National Cancer Center says, "Diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce risk of some types of cancers and other chronic diseases." 

I'm often glad that I found veganism at a young age so that I could continue on to a path that would later lead to improving my overall health. Too often, I see people constantly struggling, frustrated, unhappy and unhealthy. I also see those constantly looking and striving for the "secret" or answer to weight/fat loss and a way out of their current situation, when the answer is extremely simple: eat healthy, eat a whole foods plant-based diet rich in fruits and vegetables! Cut out the meat, the dairy, the eggs. And forget the unsustainable fad diets that promote a high-fat, high-protein diet that tells people to decrease the amount of fruits and vegetables (which I think is insane).   Food is the main source and root of everything that affects the body. So when you change your diet, you are changing your life.

There are many types of vegans and variation within the vegan lifestyle. From vegans who consume a high-processed, "junk food" diet that may or may not include adequate amounts of necessary fruits and vegetables to fruitarians and raw food vegans who follow a diet that is abundant in the consumption of fruits and vegetables.

Raw Vegan Vegetable-filled Rolls

In the event that I recently realized I could easily be a high-carb, low-fat vegan and incorporate the 80/10/10 philosophy as a vegan who isn't currently able to be completely raw, I started to do it. By 80/10/10 I mean, a minimum of 80% daily calories from carbohydrates, with maximum of 10% or less from protein, and 10% or less from fats- a method derived from Dr. Graham's The 80/10/10 Diet.

Over time, I have gone from the high-processed with fruits/vegetables vegan diet (junk-food vegan) to a more fulfilling diet that consists of largely raw fruits and vegetables along with carbohydrate-loaded foods such as rice, potatoes, and minimally packaged/processed foods. I feel that the high-carbohydrate, low-fat, vegan diet is the way to go! I like this way because I am someone who eats a lot, likes to eat a lot, and has always done so.

Banana Ice Cream with Coconut Sugar - Coming soon


80/10/10 is something that is often discussed and recommended in the vegan community. Following 80/10/10 on a regular vegan diet is, in my opinion, easier and more affordable to do as opposed to going completely raw vegan. Unfortunately, fruits and vegetables are more expensive especially when your diet relies on an abundant amount.


So moving on with the recipe for today..

MANGO KALE SALAD




This salad is raw vegan, super easy, simple, and loaded with Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and several other important nutrients.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 - 1 cup : Kale
  • 1/2 - 1 cup : Spinach
  • Carrots
  • Mango
  • Any other raw vegetables/fruits

With fruit as a topping, you don't really need a salad dressing.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Films & Veganism. Powered by Blogger.